Saturday 8 February 2014

My Week With Robert Dancik

This past week has been an amazing experience. I spent the past 5 days with 6 terrific ladies plus a gracious gentleman and our instructor - Robert Dancik. Robert taught the eight of us how to use old (or not so old in some cases) materials in a new way and learn techniques to apply these materials to jewellery.

We spent the week exploring alternative materials and cold connections at the beautiful  Hacienda Mosaico, in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico. Our hostess, Sam Leonard, took very good care of all of us. After devouring the tasty meals she served, with Robert's instruction and help, we experimented, designed and created some tremendous jewellery and components.

We also had time to leave Hacienda Mosaico and visit a local hardware store and a second-hand shop, where we collected some interesting "stuff" (rusty nails and rusty faces of the sun, moon, flowers and leaves made out of cast iron), which we put to good use during the week.

Day One, began with an explanation of what we needed to learn about using concrete as well as making solderless boxes.


concrete in a solderless box

natural concrete / dyed with shoe polish

Day Two, we worked with paper mache, epoxy putty and did some form folding of copper, but the techniques will work with any metal.

paper mache with epoxy putty

paper mache wrapped in polymer clay then faceted

Day Three, we focused on epoxy resin and faux bone. I used a torch that heated the faux bone which allowed me to change the white colour to various shades of brown.

faux bone
real bone in solderless copper half-box
Day Four, we used plexi-glass to make beads by doming 2 halves and then joining them together to fashion the bead. Even bike reflector pieces were incorporated into making lentil beads that actually would remind you of little flying saucers. (sorry no photos)

Day Five, was our chance to make creations using the materials and techniques that Robert shared with all of us! We set stones with tabs, worked with polymer clay and silver clay, learned how to do tube settings and how to create silicon molds. I did not complete any jewellery, but I am working on even more components. So, I will have finished pieces to show you in a few weeks. The beginning of three choices.... (Any suggestions?)

one

two

three
I want to thank Robert for his willingness to share so much info. I could not have asked for more. The best part of this amazing week, for me, was that we laughed, a lot, until our faces hurt. And for this I will be forever grateful. Next year can't come soon enough. I want to do it all again!


14 comments:

  1. It is always nice to learn new techniques. I'm glad you enjoyed your class.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like s great experience and a very artistic approach too. I vote for number one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it was a great experience. Thanks for your vote.

      Delete
  3. Gosh that sounds a fascinating workshop! Love that faux bone effect with the burn finish too. And I would never have sussed that the 'stones' with the strips in it wasn't picked up off a beach and then faceted by man, lol or you!..........such clever techniques you've learned. What fun!
    Thanks for dropping by my blog - good luck in the draw : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a great workshop - I am especially fond of the faux bone as well. The techniques are so brilliant. Thanks for visiting.

      Delete
  4. Very cool! Thank you for your visit and nice comment at A Rural Journal. xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for coming to visit and your kind words.

      Delete
  5. Hi macmillanmarie! It's so nice to meet you and take a look at your fabulous jewelry! The class you attended sounds like so much fun! Thanks for coming over to say hi and I also wanted to say that you have a totally cute and sweet jewelry model!

    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very kind - the class was amazing. Thank you. Taz is amazing.

      Delete
  6. How absolutely gorgeous! What a blessing to have such creativity in your heart and hands.. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so looking forward to one day being able to take a class that interests me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you get a chance as well. I is good for the soul.

      Delete