Monday 26 November 2018

The Conqueror

I spent an evening a few nights ago watching a truly awful movie. The movie was panned by critics but eventually did produce a profit at the box office. Go figure?

The movie was called 'The Conqueror' (1956) and it starred John Wayne as the Mongol warrior Genghis Khan. He was terribly miscast, imagine someone who is very tall and talking with a very strong American accent trying to portray a short Chinese man. Ben Mankiewicz of Turner Classic movies, who introduced the film, said it was one of the worst movies made during the 1950s. He was right!

But there was one scene that caught my attention. A Shaman read the future using a long string of beads. I loved this piece of jewellery and since it was such a short scene, I imagined what kind of beads must have been on his string.

I was inspired to try and create something that looks similar to the string of beads used by the Shaman. My combination of beads includes horn, antler, gemstones, copper, silver, coral, ...

It is fascinating to me to read about these powerful necklaces and their use in so many cultures. Physical proximity does not seem to have any influence on the use of these amazing pieces.

I think I will try another one soon.





No comments:

Post a Comment